Pages

Sunday, June 06, 2010

Tsuchinoko Dumpling


So, this little guy here. Basically, I wanted to imply that Gorgon Zola, the snake-lady aristocrat Razz occasionally butts heads with, lives with several servants that she's prone to antagonizing. They're basically what Waddle Dees are to King Dedede: Fiercely loyal, generally useless buttmonkey minions that exist merely for Zola to use and abuse as she sees fit.

Thing is, I didn't know what I wanted to do with them in terms of design. Originally I just planned to have them be random things she managed to will into working for her. But eventually I got a bright idea to base the little buggers on the tsuchinoko, a sort of short, fatty snake-like crytid. And so I eventually cooked this guy up, as a sort of example. I want people to associate the look with things that are adorable and yet fun to beat the tar out of, like the aforementioned Waddle Dees, Prinnies, or Serbots, etc.

Personally, I like most of this design, but I'm not sure about the snake hoodie growth on his head. I want them to come off as smaller, lower-class gorgons, but I'm not sure if it's working as a substitute for snake hair. Maybe I'll just make ait an actual hood instead.

Oh, and don'tlook into the title too much. A "Tsuchinoko Dumpling" is a really, really good healing item in the game Radiata Stories that you can get on rare occasions when you manage to kill a Tsuchinoko in battle. Though, I suppose the little guys are pretty dumpy and the -ling suffix does sum up their size pretty well...

No comments:

Post a Comment