Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Why biased people shouldn't run games

Have a seat, Gonna tell you whippersnappers a story.


Yesterday I played some TF2, I stumbled upon a server that mostly runs the same minecraft themed payload map over and over.

After 5 rounds, I haven't had a chance to play on offense once, and I felt like going pyro, because spies were out of control and the team wasn't checking for them nearly enough.

I select pyro, and I get booted back to the class selection screen.



I'm a lil confused by it, so I try again, and it kicks me back to the same screen. So I pick a random class just so i can use the chat, and this happens:

Note: Can't remember the dude's name, but I recall he had this Brony flair on him, so that's how I'll refer to him, these probably aren't the exact words, but it's as best as I can remember them.

K-ToF: This is a weird server...
Brony: How come?
K-ToF: 5th round in a row I'm defending, and won't allow pyros.
K-ToF: Doesn't seem to be setup all that well.
Brony: Owner doesn't like Pyros.

That kinda stroke me as the dumbest reason ever to exclude a class. Not for balance, but just because "the owner doesn't like them". It rubbed me the wrong way instantly, So I got a lil rude trying to spark a reaction.

K-ToF: Why? Is he a noob?
Brony: Ahem...
Brony: Pyros are for noobs.
Brony: W+M1

> W+M1 is as much of a noob excuse as it is a noob tactic.
> That's... actually very true.

K-ToF: That's even less of a reason then, Those are the easiest to deal with.
Brony: You haven't seen them on this server.

A fucking huge wide open area with little cover. Yes, I'm sure pyros are fucking terrifying here.

K-ToF: And yet, snipers are allowed.
Brony: Don't like it? Shame.
K-ToF: Without pyros there's no spy checking.
K-ToF: And that's why there's a horde of spies running around.

I seriously considered going into full detail on how removing pyros affects the game, but the setup time had ended and the match was underway.

Brony: Stop whinning.
K-ToF: Don't like it? Shame.

Needless to say, didn't stick around much after that. The server runs the same minecraft themed map over and over 24/7, and it's a very open map, makes it really hard for pyros to be effective, so again, not sure how bad these people are at this game.

However there is a giant tall ass tower specifically made for snipers to keep out of danger, but that's fine I guess.



Here's why banning pyros is a terrible idea.

  • Lack of pyro chain reaction:
    > Way too much freedom for spies to operate.
    > Engies can't set up anything
    > Heavies just get killed as soon as they come out.
    > Scouts dominate the entire map unrestricted
  • No pyros, no defense against ubers. Good pyros will airblast away ubered pairs and prevent a massacre.
  • No pyros, 1 less class to target snipers at a distance. I'll admit that's not too common, but I do take out snipers as a pyro quite a lot, I have ridiculous accuracy with the flare gun.
  • Really good pyros (I don't consider myself one) will reflect every single damn rocket and grenade back at the enemy fucking them up immensely, actually turning soldier and demo's strengths against them.

Bottom line: PYROS HAVE A ROLE.

And yet, they're the most nerfed class on TF2 because of morons like the one who ran that server.

Anyone with common sense understands that each class on TF2 has a role, strengths and weaknesses. and that some strengths are meant to counter some of the enemy's own strengths. (except snipers, they really don't factor into anything)



In a similar fashion, my all time favorite online game, Footman Frenzy, was ruined by DotA players who didn't understand how deep the game was and the roles of the heroes and armies involved into the game.

Footman was a 3vs3vs3vs3 game involving heroes and armies. DotA players couldn't quite grasp the concept of commanding more than 1 unit and would always focus on their hero, often just killing their own units so the enemy couldn't farm them, because that's what you do in DotA.

As a result, they'd often lose, even though according to them they were "doing everything right". So these poor losers made their own version of Footmen Frenzy, but did NOT change the name of it, Their map claimed to be the official one and to the average player, it was impossible to tell what was official or not.

Several of these fake versions popped out. Even though all of them had the official site URL on the loading screen, no one ever checks those.

Last loading screen the official version had, which was picked from a contest that I won.

The fake versions eventually became more popular, because people don't care about balance as long as they win. From the 50+ heroes in the game, only 3 or 4 were commonly used because the changes made all the other ones near useless. Most strategies just became too weak to work and "1 man army Hero" was the only one that remained.



Sometimes, there will be an asshole who hasn't looked into a game's mechanics much, hasn't considered how it's balanced, or just doesn't understand the game itself.

He plays the game, and something that's meant to counter him, counters him.

The idiot tells himself "These game developers didn't balance this, I shouldn't had died cause I'm infallible." And he changes the game. Either hosting a server with restrictions, or modding the game itself.

The problem is when these become popular and ruin a good game.


However, that is not to say that developers don't make mistakes. Heck sometimes developers will be the ones ruining their own game, or just make a bad game to begin with.

Where rock/paper/scissors type balance is involved, one must be very careful. Only thorough testing can tell you what to tweak.


> I put up a picture of Egon cause I like him.
> I approve of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment