Pages

Thursday, November 08, 2012

What kind of Pokémon hack would you make?

I've been watching creepy pastas on YouTube, and there are a lot of pokemon ones. Sometimes if the creepy pasta is good, fans of it will make a romhack that acts just like the creepy pasta.

So after watching a dude talk about another pokemon creepy pasta on Youtube, in the related videos there was a tutorial on how to use basic rom hacking tools for pokemon games.

The tools looked decent and simple to use and it seems to cover everything which makes sense because pokemon games are really popular.


1f0e3dad99908345f7439f8ffabdffc4_120

So I start thinking to myself:

"Well, I'm sure I could do a romhack if I wanted, and it'd be nice to have a project to work on. But... what would I make?"

That's always the problem isn't it? I've learned to use many tools to make games in the past, but the only reason I never made a game is always because I never had a good idea for it. Editing a game is different though, the core is all there, you can just tweak stuff around a little.

I've been asking around for ideas, mostly out of curiosity to see what kind of pokemon hack they would do. The question is:

What pokemon rom hack would you make assuming you had a team do it for you. In this scenario we assume you're just the brains of the operation and all you need to do is decide things. 

I think I'd like to do a romhack even if the idea isn't that great, just for the experience. So I'm open to ideas and suggestions.


diglett165

When I asked Zach what he would do if he could make a romhack, his response was "I dunno". but then again, that's also his response to "What are you doing?" and "How do you feel?". He says "I dunno" a lot actually...

As for myself, I had this vague idea:


You would play as a trainer who was walking through a desert like area with his 6 pokemon, but there were all caught in a sandstorm. The trainer gets separated from his Pokémon in the storm, and when it passes, he starts looking for them.

Now there's 2 ways I imagined this going:

  • The trainer is the one that fights. He goes through all the areas around the desert looking for his pokemon and beating up wild pokemon and humans alike. His pokemon team would basically just be himself.
  • One of the pokemon finds the trainer right away (a Numel), and he sets to find the rest of his team with it.

The goal is simple, find your lost pokemon. That's it.

In either case, the lost pokemon could be just hiding and/or cornered by other pokemon, trapped somewhere, collapsed from hunger/fatigue or stolen by another trainer.

It would not be a long game, I imagine playing it wouldn't take more than 1 hour to beat. Probably not even 30 mins if you're replaying it.

Would probably disable capturing wild pokemon, but allow the player to get the lost pokemon in any order. Much like megaman, some orders could be easier than others.


Could be fun.

If you guys have comments or ideas I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment