Pages

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Mr. Bastard: Hell's Army 2


When I thought about the Rook, I knew I wanted it to be defensively oriented. The first few versions I ever did were essentially meant to be "tanks". They were mostly composed of stone bricks to get that castle feel. I eventually strayed from it and layered their arms with literal castle walls, a sort of idea I had previously where a character with large shields on his arms would slam them together to defend themselves. Originally the Rook was just pictured doing this to protect itself and just stall for time. I eventually pulled the barrier technique I mention at the posts at the art websites I frequent out of my ass.



The lock that adorns the Rook's collar was inspired by something I saw in my head one day. I think it was after playing lots of Metal Slug. Anyways, I stuck this lock on them, and it was destroyed, and in a delayed, but quick smoky display, the Rook's defenses fell off of it into a crumbled heap around it's feet. It then proceeded to actually notice and react to it's plight in a comical way, where it grasps it's now naked body and fears for it's life. It had the nice side effect of providing the weakness it needed, and I really, really liked how it worked without making the tone too serious. It's something I like to avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment