Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Whenever i reinstall windows, i lose these

My bookmarks on Firefox that is.

I don't really reinstall widows often, normally one instalation lasts me over a year, previous one lasted me over 2 years. So whenever i backup, i always forget something. lately i've been looking into making my software portable, not in the sense that i want to put it on a flash drive and run it anywhere, but in the sense that to "reinstall" all the programs i use on another computer or windows installation, all i'd have to do is copy the folders.

I've always been a fan of programs that don't require being reinstalled, and games too.

Anyway, Firefox saves it's favs up windows' ass somewhere, up along with a few games and applications. which annoys me, the documents and settings folder is really fucking annoying me because i can't set up a new one with tweakUI for XP, it'll always b on the partition with windows so it'll "die" on the format, that location is always default. Software just keeps saving it's crap there and i never know about it, but, why the fuck does it do that? anyone else miss when software had their lil folders and kept to themselves in it? I swear i once used something that saved it's data in 3 different locations and the windows registry. Gawd!

So anyway, the one thing I'm always gonna forget on Firefox is the favorites, and today i did a quick search for plugins for it and found the Xmarks plugin for Firefox that basically keeps your bookmarks updated on their server, and you can restore you stuff if you ever lose it.

I had a quick look on the Xmarks site and seems it has a Chrome, IE and Safari version too.

No comments:

Post a Comment