Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

APB I hardly knew ye

APB Reloaded

I use to have no time to play video games, but since I get summers off I now have the luxury of time to burn on things that will rot my brain. Being a cheap-o-rino, I decided my budget should be zero dollars for experimenting new games.

Luckily there are plenty of free games for people to download and play.

I decided to go with APB Reloaded because it was on steam.

What harm can it do to download it and try it out? After all I got nothing to lose. The original APB was crappy so there was no way it could have been worst. Well that's what I originally THOUGHT.


- THE BEGINNING -

I decided first to not even bother reading any reviews or ratings of the game. I find that when I do that, I tend to become a bit more bias towards the game. So I downloaded it from steam, installed it and loaded it up.

Apparently in the future ravers are going to stop
using drugs for a bit to cause
crime, and cops can't do anything about it.
No problems there. The game loads up with a video sequence and I didn't even have to patch the game yet. Fantastic!

 You can view the actual intro here courtesy of an uploader on youtube (clicking link will open new window).



All right the intro was over so I moved on to the welcome screen. It prompts me to either log in with steam or through GamersFirst.

Well I didn't have a gamersfirst account so I decided to go with steam. Apparently this selection is just a bullshit option and tells me I have to make a GamersFirst account anyway. Okay.



- REGISTER DUDE -

As you can see for yourself Joining GamersFirst is Fast and Easy. Sure enough it was pretty fast and fairly straight forward. But this is when the problems continue to get worst.

You see what GamersFirst neglect to tell me is that if you make a password longer than 8 characters, I would not be able to log into their server through a game. It logs into their website  and forum, but if you are trying to log in their server through a game like APB Reloaded, you will get some error message.

I was pretty pissed and so I did what any intelligent person would do. I googled my problem. Surprisingly I am not the only one with the same problem and this game is not the only one with the same issue (LMGTFY).

Possible "temporary" fixes or possible solutions to problems that were mentioned:
  • 1- Wait for next patch (WTF?)
  • 2- Launch the game from directory and not through steam
  • 3- E-mail GamersFirst and they'll fix it for you in about a week.
  • 4- Reinstall.
  • 5- Re-register.
  • 6- Change your password.

- THE FIX -

I know what some of you are thinking who read number six on that list. How would changing your password fix the problem. Well apparently if your password was longer than a certain amount (mine was eight characters), the game would not be able to verify me on the server while the game is running. Fabulous. I changed my password from their website and then reloaded the game. If you are curious I changed it to "FuckYou2". Magically that worked!


So everything starts loading and I'm thinking "Great! I can finally do a blog game review". Then I got prompted by this lovely message.

  
WHAEIGHEIEAIFNFI AVIEAF AEIFHA EFIEAFEIF!!!!! GRAHGHGHGHA!

Turns out that this pop-up is also a common occurrence among GamersFirst. There is NOTHING on this system that is potentially hazardous to other players. I built this system with legit software and hardware. I have download all critical system files up-to-date, and my main Anti-virus is Kaspersky (one of if not the best paid anti-virus to exist). So GamersFirst go take a missile up your ass.


- THE CONCLUSION -
 
Quit? Yes.

Uninstall? Yes.


Out of some viewer's curiosity APB stand for All Points Bulletin. Though they should just refer to for what it really is Anal Pain Backfire.



VNARTIST GAME RATING QUICK SUMMARY!

Game: APB Reloaded
Pros: Uninstalls quickly.
Cons: Everything else.
Rating:
32

I give this game a 32 limp tentacle eggplant Peter Pan's ass.

1 comment:

  1. I went through the exact same B.S. with APB. Its a shame because the game look really cool.

    ReplyDelete